Friday, July 13, 2012

Lost Debit Card = Not Good!

As I explained in the last post, I lost my debit card in DC.  It was nowhere to be found.  Normally in that situation, one would just cancel the card and order a new one.  Well, it was wasn't that easy in this situation. I called the card company and they said a new one could be made and sent to me in 17 days.  The problem was, we were leaving in a week so that wasn't an option.  I love Zion's Bank, but there aren't any outside of Utah (and maybe Idaho), and especially none in Virginia, so I didn't have the option of just going to the bank and withdrawing money.  I had to have my money though, because we had to pay for hotels, gas, and food on the way home.  It was quite the predicament.  So after a long series of phone calls to Visa, Zions Bank, and Western Union, it was arranged for me to have money from my own account wired to me in Virginia and I could pick it up at a Western Union.  It kinda sucked to have to be carrying around that much cash and not being able to use a card, but I was grateful that I was able to get it taken care of and wasn't money-less.


I experienced a small miracle in this situation though.  At the end of the season we went out to dinner with all our friends at Loft Mountain and with the managers over the whole park.  Throughout the season we were able to earn "bucks" by doing certain things, like excellent customer service and promoting park events.  At the end of the season they put everyone's "bucks" into a drawing for a $50, $75 and $100 gift card to Wal-Mart.  I usually don't win stuff like this, so I wasn't expecting anything.  They drew out the $50 and it wasn't me.  Then they drew out the $75 and it wasn't me, so I knew that I had no chance.  If I was going to get anything it probably would have been one of those, so I didn't get my hopes up.  But guess what!?  When they drew out the $100.... It wasn't me.  No, just kidding!  Of course it was me, or why else would I be telling this story? haha.  It was a great blessing to have that extra money on the way home.  Every meal pretty much consisted of Wal-Mart food, whether it was from the deli or something we could just eat cold, but I wasn't complaining!  I was glad to have that.  I even had a little extra when we got back to Utah and I think I bought myself some shoes. haha. 




These are all of our comrades from Loft Mountain.  We were quite the random group, but we had so much fun!


Left:  Wayne-He was the manager at Loft.  He's a local Virginian.
Middle and Right:  Rick and Tut- Not to be confused with Rut and Tuk, the moose from Brother Bear. haha.  He is retired army and school teacher and she is a retired librarian.  They are from Southern Alabama. 




Andrew and Wayne.
Andrew was also a local.  He was a little creepy sometimes.


Me, Britt, and Leah.
Leah was my roommate until Brittany got there.  She is seriously so cool!  She's from Buffalo, New York.  We had a good time with her :)



The guy on the left is John.  He is originally from Canada, but works every year at Shenandoah and spends his winters in Florida.  He was great.  Quite a character.



Left: Karen-From Boston.  She was the assistant manager.  Oh, the stories I could tell about her.  Let's just say that she wasn't the most well like person.  There were days that I really did enjoy her, but one day she told me my hair looked like his and I never fully recovered. haha.

Right: Louise-Sweetest lady ever.  She is from Missouri and we just loved her.  She turned 75 during our season but she is still so fiery and awesome!  I want to be like her when I'm 75.


As you can see, it was a pretty diverse group of people, but that's what made it so fun.  Through our traveling and interactions with these guys, we were exposed to some new cultures from all across the country.  I would love to go back and do it again.... maybe next summer  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment