Sunday, July 22, 2012

Heading Home

The end of our season at Shenandoah came to an end.  We packed up our stuff into the car and headed back to Utah.  It was a little bittersweet because we loved it there.  We had so much fun and were able to meet so many great people, but we were excited to get home and see our families.  We started our trip home the 2nd week in November and we planned it out to be home 2 days before Thanksgiving.


The car was stuffed full!




Goodbye Loft Mountain :(


Sadie and I drove to Virginia on I-70 pretty much the whole way, which goes across mostly middle states.  Since it was getting late in the year and little cold, Britt and I decided it would be fun to take a more Southern route on the way home.  I wanted to see states that I hadn't seen yet, and we didn't want to run into any snow storms.

There was one place we wanted to see before we got out of the state of Virginia (well, way more than one, but we just didn't have time for them all.)  This spot was right on the way, so we were excited we would get to see it.  

Appomattox was the place where the Robert E. Lee surrendered the Civil War.  I know I've said it before, but I love actually being able to see the places that these great historical moments took place at.  It's amazing to me that I saw the actual desk where Robert E. Lee sat and signed the papers that said the Union had won the war.








Appomattox Courthouse, which is where I always thought the surrender took place, but it actually happened inside this house (below), the Wilmer McLean house, which is just down the street from the courthouse.




It was a quick stop, but it was so cool to see such an important place in our country's history.



No comments:

Post a Comment