Thursday, July 12, 2012

3rd trip to DC

The end of our season at Shenandoah was drawing near and there was one last place we HAD to go before we headed back home.  I had already been there twice, but I could probably spend years in DC and never get sick of it.  I really love that city, and we couldn't leave without Brittany seeing it!  This was a budget trip because we knew that we were going to have to pay for gas and hotels to get home and we wanted to spend as little as possible.  It's easy to do in DC though, because almost everything is free  :)


Instead of getting a hotel, which are pretty expensive in DC, we decided to just get a camping spot at a state park in Maryland and sleep in the car.  It was only $15 a night (we stayed for 2 nights) and it was only a few blocks away from a Metro station, so we just rode that into the city.  Even though it definitely wasn't as comfortable or warm as a hotel room, I think it was a pretty good idea.  Saved us lots of $$.


The picture is blurry, but this was our hotel room for a couple nights.  * Side note--You see that quilt?  That king-size denim quilt that I spent hours cutting up old jeans and sewing?  Well, it's now missing!  I can see loosing an earring or a $20 bill, but how do you lose a quilt?  It's a mystery.  I'm so sad :(  I'm almost positive that it made it back to Utah, but when I went to go use it again it was gone.  Weird, I know!




We spent time in a lot of the museums.  We planned to go on the weekend that we did because there was an Elvis exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery and I really wanted to see it.  I love Elvis!  So I got to see some of the museums that I had already been in, but we also went to ones that I hadn't.  Brittany is an artist, so we spent a few hours walking through all the art museums.  I like looking at pretty paintings and sculptures, but some of the "art", I just don't get.  haha.  It was still great to see though.  


We tried to get tickets to go up the elevator in the Washington Monument but it was out of service or something.  Every time I have been there was something wrong and I wasn't able to do that :(  Some other things that I saw this trip that I hadn't seen before were the Korean War monument and Ford's theater where President Lincoln was shot.







We went to Arlington Cemetery.  It was absolutely perfect with the fall leaves and amazing weather.





We were in DC the first week of November and it was a perfect time to go.  There were not as many people and we weren't ready to die from the heat.  We both just had little jackets and it was perfect.  If you ever go there, I would suggest going in October or November.  Next time I go, I would love to be there in the springtime with all the cherry blossoms blooming.  Ahh!  That would be so incredible.

While we were eating at a cute little cafe, Brittany and I were saying that we should go to a movie.  We didn't want to be out late but we weren't ready to go back to the car yet.  It's not like we could watch TV or something.  The cook overheard us mention going to a movie and he said, "The theater down the street is only 20 bucks."  We were in shock!!  He was saying that $20 was a cheap movie ticket!  I sure do love Utah movie prices.  Needless to say, we did NOT go to that theater.  We found one out in Maryland near the campground that was only $9.  We were the only people in the whole theater until right before the movie started.  Then these 2 ladies walked in.  And out of ALL the seats in the theater, they sat RIGHT NEXT TO US!!  Oh my gosh.... I was so annoyed.  We went out to get a drink and came back in and sat in different seats.  Seriously.... who does that?!

Overall the trip was so great, but we had one little dilemma.  And when I say little, I mean giant!  I remember using my debit card at the movie theater and then I never saw it again.  We looked all around the campground, all around the car, and went back to the theater to see if it was there.  It hadn't been used so I didn't think it was stolen, so we decided to just go back to Virginia and clean out the car.  We were sure that we would find it when we got everything out, but no such luck.  More on that in the next post.



We got a good shot of the temple on our way back.  The drive home was a little sad because we knew it would be our last adventure before we started our drive back to Utah.  But everything we did and everywhere we got to go was so amazing!  






No comments:

Post a Comment