Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Washington DC--take 2

What are the odds that I run into someone I know from Utah clear across the country on a crowded Metro in DC? Pretty slim to none I would say.... But that happened to me! When me and Sadie got onto the metro to go back to our hotel, my friend from SUU got into the very same section of the train (coincidence?.... I think not!) She was there for an internship for the summer, and told me I could come stay with her for a couple days. So I did. I was able to go back to DC a few weeks ago and see more. Which, buy the way, still wasn't enough time. You could spend a month here and not see everything!

Joy (my friend) worked in the Senate offices and she gave me a way awesome, behind-the-scenes tour of the capital. I saw all the statues (each state has 2 statues in the capital building), the Senate rooms, and sat in the Senate Gallery and listened to a couple of them give speeches. The inside of the dome was very cool.









Joy had to work in the afternoon, so I walked around the city by myself for a while. That was kinda weird, but I felt very independent. haha. I saw the Supreme Court building and I went to the Museum of Natural History and saw the Hope Diamond.


Next was the National Archives, and for some reason there was no line at all. Too bad that didn't happen when Sadie was there with me. You can't take pictures in there :( But I saw the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and The Declaration of Independence.

Then I went to the Air and Space museum. It was cooler than I thought it would be. There were lots of war planes and space stuff. The Spirit of St. Louis, the Apollo 11 capsule, and the actual plane that the Wright Brothers flew for the first time (at least I think it was the real one) were there. Joy met me here and we looked for the bobble-head Einsteins for a long time, but we couldn't find them :(















We walked to the Jefferson Memorial as the sun was going down. It was so pretty to see the city at that time of day. Then we took a taxi back to Joy's. I was so glad I got to go back. I still need to take at least one more trip to see some more stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment