Friday, June 22, 2012

Luray Caverns

So, I'm probably the worst blogger in the universe.  But I am finally ready and able to post the rest of my adventures from when I lived in Virginia.  Next month it will be 2 years since I loaded my car and started the drive.  Most of you probably don't even care anymore, so these posts will probably be more for my memory than anything else :)  The last thing I posted was when I picked Brittany up at the airport and we went to Jamestown.


We got settled into our new room and everyone at Loft Mountain (the name of the area of Shenandoah that we worked at) instantly loved Brittany.... how could you not?!


Our manager was so awesome and scheduled our days off together so that we could travel and hang out together.  Our days off were usually Monday and Tuesday, so most weeks we would go into Charlottesville, VA and go to the singles ward FHE activities on Monday nights.


About every 3-4 weeks we were able to go on a trip somewhere.  The first one was not very far away, but still very cool.  There are 5 main stops inside Shenandoah.  Big Meadows and Skyland are the main places, and Loft Mountain (where we were) and 2 others are smaller stops.  Being park employees, we got a free horse rides at Skyland.  Guests of the park pay about $60 for an hour of riding (which seems a little extreme. haha).  So we went up to Skyland for a ride. Now, I may not be as horse-savvy as most of my family members, but I do like a little more adventure than riding in a straight line and walking extremely slow.  And we were with a bunch of people from Taiwan and they had never even seen a horse, so it was pretty funny seeing them try to ride.







The Shenandoah National Park headquarters are located in Luray, VA.  And if you are a park employee you get a free pass to the Luray Caverns.  They were so cool!  (And getting in free made it even better :] )  We had our cute little headphones that narrated as we walked through the caves.









"The Wishing Well"  
Thousands of people throw coins into to wishing well inside the caves, and at the end of every year they collect the money and donate it to charity.

If you can see on that black sign, they collect like $10,000 each year. 





In the gift shop they had an old car museum, which was way cool.



And outside was a giant garden maze!  We had a lot of fun doing that.  I kinda felt like I was in The Tri-Wizard tournament from Harry Potter. haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment